Ubiquiti has gained a reputation for making reasonably-priced, high performance wireless products. Although they cater primarily to businesses and service providers, some of their products have attracted a “prosumer” following. We’ve previously reviewed the (now defunct) PowerAP N and most recently its EdgeRouter Lite.
This time we turn our attention to Ubiquiti’s first draft 802.11ac access point, the UAP-AC. This review will cover the AC’s hardware features and performance. We’ll be doing a separate in-depth review of Ubiquiti’s UniFi 3.0 system that all its APs run under in a few weeks.
The UAP-AC is an business-grade access point managed via software installed on a Windows, MacOS or Linux computer vs. a hardware controller or built-in web interface. Included in its package are a mounting bracket, ceiling backing plate, various screws and nuts, power cord, 48V PoE GigE adapter and Controller CD with user guide.
The UAP-AC is meant to be installed on a wall or ceiling and includes brackets for mounting. Being an enterprise-level access point the exterior is all business. The human-facing side of the access point has an LED which shows the various states of the access point. The back side includes two switched Gigabit Ethernet ports.
A reset button is also included which allows for restarts as well as returning to factory defaults. Beyond that there is only the locking clip which prevents easy removal of the access point.
• Easy Mounting: Sleek wall or ceiling mount design (all accessories included).
• Design: Aesthetic industrial design with a unique LED provisioning ring or square, which provides administrator location tracking and alerts for each device.
• Power over Ethernet (PoE): Includes Power over Ethernet (PoE) functionality, which allows both power and data to be carried over a single Ethernet cable to the device.
• Each UniFi model includes a Power over Ethernet adapter; however, it can also be powered by the Ubiquiti TOUGHSwitch PoE PRO (sold separately).
• The UniFi AP‑AC is compatible with an 802.3at compliant switch.
• Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
• Networking Interface: (2) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports
• Power Method: Passive PoE (48V), 802.3at supported
• Power Supply: 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter (included)
• Max. Power Consumption: 22W
• BSSID: Up to (4) per radio
• 2.4GHz Antennas: (3) integrated (Supports 3×3 MiMO with Spatial Diversity)
• 5GHz Antennas: (3) integrated (Supports 3×3 MiMO with Spatial Diversity)
• Max. TX Power: 28 dBm (for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
• Dimensions: 7.87 x 8.03 x 1.06 inches (200 x 204 x 27 mm)
• Weight: 1.25 lbs (566g)
• Operating Temperature: 14°F to 131°F (-10°C to 55°C)
• Mounting: Wall / Ceiling Kits included
(3) UniFi AP-AC
(3) Wall and Ceiling Mount Adapter Kit
(3) PoE Adapter
(1) UniFi Controller Software Installation CD
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC (UAP-AC) – 3 Pack Technical Specifications
- 3 x Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC (UAP-AC) 802.11ac Access point
- Dimensions 200 x 204 x 27 mm
- Weight 508 g (566 g with Mounting Kits)
- Networking Interface (2) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports
- Buttons Reset
- Wi-Fi Standards 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Power Method Passive Power over Ethernet (48V), 802.3af Supported
- Power Supply 48V, 0.5A PoE Gigabit Adapter Included
- Max. Power Consumption 25 W
- BSSID Up to Four per Radio
- Power Save Supported
- Wireless Security WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA-TKIP,
- WPA2 AES, 802.11i
- Certifications CE, FCC, IC
- Mounting Wall/Ceiling (Kits Included)
- Operating Temperature -10 to 70°C
- Operating Humidity 5 – 80% Condensing
- 2.4 GHz 3 Integrated (Supports 3×3 MIMO with Spatial Diversity)
- 5 GHz 3 Integrated (Supports 3×3 MIMO with Spatial Diversity)
Max. TX Power
- 2.4 GHz 28 dBm
- 5 GHz 28 dBm
Advanced Traffic Management
- VLAN 802.1Q
- Advanced QoS Per-User Rate Limiting
- Guest Traffic Isolation Supported
- WMM Voice, Video, Best Effort, and Background
- Concurrent Clients 200+
Supported Data Rates (Mbps)
- 802.11a 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps
- 802.11n, 2.4 GHz (3×3) 6.5 Mbps to 450 Mbps (MCS0 – MCS23, HT 20/40)
- 802.11n, 5 GHz (3×3) 6.5 Mbps to 450 Mbps (MCS0 – MCS23, HT 20/40)
- 802.11ac, 5 GHz (3×3) 6.5 Mbps to 1300 Mbps (MCS0 – MCS9 NSS1/2/3, VHT 20/40/80)
- 802.11b 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps
- 802.11g 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps
– See more at: http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-unifi-uapac-3-pack-p-5725.html#sthash.dbjTYnI8.dpuf